Monday, April 29, 2013

This day as I gaze out my window, I am lost and blinded by the tears. I was awakened this morning by a phone call telling me, that our market building was on fire. It wasn’t but a short time later, that my husband called to let me know it was a total loss. So much gone, so many hours of hard work , so much money, so many pieces of artwork, handcrafted with loving hands by so many…all gone. There are not words to describe the loss I am feeling right now. This was someone’s dream gone up in smoke. This was someone’s lively hood. this was their medicine, their food, their utility bills. For some just that little extra that kept them going.
This building such as it was, a poultry and rabbit barn for the fair, yes, but so much more. It was our market place, our store front, yes. But it was also our social outlet. A great place where neighbors and friends and family came together every Saturday morning to sell their goods, to hang out with friends, to meet and make new friends, renew old acquaintances. For some it was a reason to get out of bed.
This is a great loss not only to our members but a tremendous loss to the community as well
Where do we go from here???

0 comments:

Post a Comment

River City Farmers Market Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino